Cosmetic Body Surgery
Thigh Lift Surgery
Leesburg - Northern Virginia - Loudoun
You might benefit from a thigh lift if you have excess and sagging skin located around your inner our outer thighs.
The skin of the inner thighs will occur with age and weight loss. This is particularly true in patients who have lost a tremendous amount of weight.
The cosmetic surgical options will depend on the amount of sagging skin relative to the amount of fat.
For patients with excessive fat but not much extra skin.
Patients may only need liposuction. That is, unless there is an inordinate amount of fat that would result in excess skin after the removal of the fat.
For patients with minimal to moderate extra skin:
Patients will benefit from a limited incision thigh lift which is also known as either a horizontal incision or crescent incision thigh lift.
For patients with significant extra skin and sagging:
Patients will need treatment with an extend thigh lift which is also called a vertical incision thigh lift. This procedure uses a horizontal incision to lift the tissue but uses also a vertical incision on the inner aspect of the thigh extending down to the knees.
- a limited skin excision ( crescent incision ) procedure for minimal sagging
- an extended incision ( vertical incision ) procedure for significant sagging
- Elevate the excess skin of the thigh
- Hide the scars as best as possible in the groin crease. This may not be possible for significant amounts of skin excess
- Perform the surgery safely
A limited incision thigh lift is a technique designed for patients with minimal to moderate skin sag that is located along the inner thighs.
A limited incision thigh lift is performed using a hidden crescent shaped incision in the groin crease. The appropriate amount of tissue excess is removed. This is followed by elevating the remaining tissue to the groin crease. Liposuction is added if necessary.
Most patients can return to work in 2 weeks
An extended or vertical thigh lift is a technique designed for patients with moderate to severe skin sag that usually extends from the groin toward the knees.
The extend thigh lift surgery uses a horizontal incision in the groin as well as a second vertical incision that extends from the groin to the knees along the inner thigh. The horizontal incision is used to lift the thigh tissue upwards while the vertical incision is used to remove extra skin as well as to tighten the circumference of the thigh from side to side. It is hidden along the inner thigh. Liposuction is added if necessary.
Most patients can return to work in 10-14 days. Final results, however, are not apparent for 6 to 12 months.
Limited Incision Thigh Lift
- Scar is located in the groin crease and difficult to see
Extended or Vertical Incision Arm Lift
- The extend thigh lift surgery uses a horizontal incision in the groin as well as a second vertical incision that extends from the groin to the knees along the inner thigh. It is hidden along the inner thigh
The thin skin of the inner thigh does not have a very good ability to contract or shrink. For this reason, once the skin is stretched after gaining weight, the skin remains loose even after weight loss.
For young patients that are beginning to gain weight in their thighs, a potential strategy that can prevent the need for a surgical lift in the future is to prevent the fat from accumulating in the first place with Coolsculpting nonsurgical fat removal or a very small office based liposuction procedure.
Approximately 12 to 18 months
- Breast reduction and or breast lift
- Total body lift ( circumferential body lift )
- Thigh lift
- Arm lift
- Face and/or neck lift
First of all, the name is terrible as a total body lift does not lift the entire body. The Total body lift describes a circumferential tummy tuck and can be imagined as the circumferential extension of the abdominoplasty incision around the body to the back. The front part of the incision is used to contour the abdomen. The back part of the incision will not only remove excess skin and fat around the trunk and flanks, but will also elevate the buttock and lateral thighs.
- Abdominal contouring
- Remove excess fat of the flanks and lower back
- Lift and contour the buttocks
- Lift and contour the outer thighs
- application of a protective surgical tape on your incision for the first 1-2 weeks after your procedure. The surgical tape protects the incision from the outside environment while also maintaining a lubricating environment for your scar.
- Apply a lubricating scar ointment ( we use biocorneum) for the next 1-3 months. Ideally the ointment contains vitamin E, silicates, sunblock, and a gentle steroid. Our preference is biocorneum because it contains all of these elements in an easy to use pump applicator.
- Apply a silicone sheet for the 1-3 after surgery. Many patients will just use the sheet at night and use the ointment during the day.
- Steroid injection into the scar if it remains raised after 6 months
- Profractional laser remodeling if it remains raised or conspicuous after 6 months.
- All patients will wear a compression garment for about 4 weeks.
- Final results should not be expected for at least 6 months to a year. Over that time, your tissue will change dramatically so you will have to be extremely patient; swelling will decrease dramatically
- Scars will not be at their best appearance for over a year
- Sutures if any are removed in 10 to 14 days
- Strenuous exercise should also be avoided for 4 weeks to help in the recovery process.
- Apply aquaphor ointment to exposed sutures and incisions should be applied twice a day until the sutures are removed
- Most patients will take 10-14 days off of work
- Pain can initially be moderate to severe
As with any surgery, there are associated risks. Only you can decide whether the procedure can achieve your goals and whether the recovery and risk profile are acceptable to you.
The most common and significant problems associated with a thigh lifts are widening and visibility of the scars, delayed wound healing or tissue necrosis, and some recurrence. This is because of the thin quality of the skin of the medial thigh as well as the constant pull of gravity on the scar.
Other complications are rare but can include:
Local bleeding or bruising
- Infection particularly from the absorbable sutures
- Loss of sensation although rare
- Widened or thickened scar
- Asymmetry (unevenness between two sides)
- Delayed wound healing with skin or tissue necrosis
- Extra skin at the ends of the incisions
Unsatisfactory results that may require additional procedures. Patients will generally be responsible for any associated facility fees.
Thigh Lift Surgery
What is Body Contouring?
If you’ve reached your goal weight, but still are not seeing the body you’ve worked so hard for, you may be a great candidate for body contouring. For many people who are at or within 10 pounds of their healthy body weight, contouring is a great solution to help shed those stubborn pockets of fat that are keeping you from your ideal body.
Beautiful Curves: The Science Behind Them And How YOU Can Get Them!
Check Out This Month's Specials
Find all of this month’s special offers and discounts all in one place!
Shop our entire store of procedures and products here as well.
Why Should You Get Your Cosmetic Surgery At Aesthetica?
AESTHETICA HAS BEEN VOTED #1 IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA AND THE LOUDOUN TIMEs MIRROR FOR MULTIPLE YEARS IN A ROW
Experts in Plastic Surgery
Experts in Plastic Surgery
Other Popular Procedures
Cosmetic breast surgery includes breast augmentation, breast lift, breast reduction and breast reconstruction. Other common procedures include nipple and areola reduction.
Body contouring procedures include abdominoplasty, lower body lift, circumferential body lift, as well as thigh and arm lifts. Some patients need it all especially after weight loss surgery.
Face surgery includes facial rejuvenation procedures such as face, neck, and forehead lifts or simple nonsurgical procedures such as botox, cosmetic facial fillers, or laser skin treatments. Other procedures include nose jobs or ear reshaping.
Skin and Anti-aging
Vaginal health includes treatments for vaginal dryness, laxity, and even urinary incontinence. Common procedures include labiaplasty surgery, as well as Diva Laser Tightening.
Thigh Lift in Northern Virginia
Dr. Phillip Chang is a leading plastic surgeon in Loudoun County who specializes in surgical and nonsurgical cosmetic procedures for the breast, body, face, and skin. He is board certified in plastic surgery by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and is the founder of Aesthetica Cosmetic Surgery & Laser Center in Leesburg, VA. Dr. Chang is dedicated to providing high-quality service that concentrates on the unique needs and concerns of his patients. He believes combining attentive care and minimally invasive techniques is the best avenue for achieving beautiful, natural-looking results. Dr. Chang is thrilled to be serving the greater northwest area of Washington, D.C. with top cosmetic care that is dependable and trustworthy.
Interested in learning more about Dr. Chang? Click here.
We are based in Leesburg, VA. Located as part of the Lansdowne medical complex, you have access to our 24-7 state-of-the-art facility as well as access to Lansdowne hospital. We are based directly across the road from INOVA hospital. There is ample parking, elevators to bring you to our third floor offices, and welcoming staff to sign you in.
We are proud of our surgeries and cosmetic procedures and love that our patients are happy too. They like to shout it out on Google, Yell, Facebook, and right here on our website. Check out our reviews here.
Yes we do!
All potential patients receive either a phone, virtual, or in-consultation for free.
During the consultation we will discuss your treatment wishes and expectations. This is the time to ask us lots of questions to really understand what is involved, what the costs will be, and what is expected of you. This is also a great time to get to know Dr. Chang.
Aesthetica has received numerous awards from the Loudoun County Chamber of Commerce, New Beauty, Best of Loudoun, Posh 7 Top Picks, and Dr. Chang is internationally known for his lectures and advances in precise surgical technique as demonstrated through his unique mini-facelift procedure.
Follow us online
Follow us on our other platform for more articles, plastic surgery images, and innovations on our social channels