Solutions for the Nose Job
Leesburg | Loudoun | Ashburn | Virginia
A rhinoplasty or more commonly known as a “nose job” is any surgical procedure that reshapes the nose. The size, shape, and proportionality of a nose is literally the defining centerpiece of every face.
Board certified plastic surgeon Phillip Chang is one of the world’s leading rhinoplasty surgeons and has contributed to the development of the procedure through the application of some of his own unique techniques.
The dark circles under the lower eyelids are the result of many concurrent reasons.
- A wide nasal tip, also called a boxy nasal tip, is a commonly requested concern for patients. The shape and size of the nasal tip is created by paired nasal cartilages that are individually wide and separated from each other. The outline of your tip cartilage can often be better visualized by pushing the tip upward while looking at the tip cartilage in the mirror.
- The treatment strategy is to narrow the front to back width of a wide tip cartilage in addition to joining the left and right nasal cartilages in the midline.
- The nasal hump is commonly seen more commonly in certain ethnicities including patients from the middle east and around the mediterranean. Some patients refer to their features as a Roman Nose.
- The nasal hump is composed of a tall nasal bone that is contiguous with a tall nasal cartilage.
- The treatment strategy is to file down the bone and cartilage with a special filing instrument or chisel. Filing down the nasal hump will sometimes result in a flat top surface to the nose, particularly if the hump is particularly tall. Imagine taking off the top of a triangle. If the top surface looks overly flat, the nasal bones are broken at the base of the triangle and pushed inwards to close the gap at the top.
Wide Nasal Bones
- Wide nasal bones are addressed by breaking the nose and pushing the bony side walls inward. Imagine pushing the sides of a triangle towards the midline of the triangle.
- Wide nostrils are commonly seen in certain ethnicities including asians and patients of color.
- The treatment strategy is to perform a “wier excision” that can decrease the circumference of the nostril. Imagine the nostril as a circle where the base of the circle is located where the nostril joins the cheek. A wier excision will remove a small wedge of the nostril at the base followed by closing up the smaller circle. The scar is hidden in the crease between the nostril and cheek.
Flat Nasal profile
- Flat nasal profile is the opposite of a nasal hump. This finding is commonly seen in certain ethnicities including asians and patients of color.
- The treatment strategy is to build up the nasal profile using facial fillers, cartilage grafts, or implants. Adding facial fillers are the easiest option and an option that we perform daily because it does not require surgery.
- Voluma, juvederm, or radiesse are common facial fillers. These are injected in the office in a 10 minute procedure with no downtime
- Patients having surgery for other cosmetic concerns will often opt for septal cartilage grafts or implants created for this purpose.
Non-surgical rhinoplasty – Non-surgical rhinoplasty is a technique that Dr. Chang pioneered in Virginia in 2001. He is an expert injector who has treated thousands of patients using this technique. It is ideal for patients with flat nasal bones, small nasal humps, small depressions, and wide nasal tips. The procedure is performed by strategically injecting fillers and provides immediate results that can last up to 2 years. In many patients, this procedure allows patients with minor issues to avoid the time, risk, and expense of surgery
Closed Rhinoplasty – The two major surgical techniques for performing a nose reshaping procedure are the closed and the open rhinoplasty techniques. aDr. Chang performs both depending on the nature of your issues. Closed procedures have no visible external scars. An incision is placed inside the nose and all the work is performed using this incision. This procedure is ideal for patients who do NOT need work on their nasal tip cartilages. It is ideal for patients who only need work to either reduce a nasal hump or narrow the nasal bones
Open Rhinoplasty – The two major surgical techniques for performing a nose reshaping procedure are the closed and the open rhinoplasty techniques. Open rhinoplasty procedures are performed using incisions inside the nose that extends to an surface incision at the bottom of the nose on the columella. This incision is used for patients who require work on their nasal tip cartilages, either to refine the tip, narrow the tip, or to make it smaller. The nasal bones can also be addressed through this incision.
Nostril Narrowing ( Wier Excision ) – This procedure is performed to make smaller a large or flaring nostril
Septoplasty – A septoplasty is a procedure to fix a deviated septum. The septum is the cartilage the separates the two nasal cavities. The septum is naturally straight but it can deviate with time or after a traumatic injury. The deviation can sometimes result in closing off of one of the nasal cavities, making it difficult to breath. A septoplasty can be performed to remove the part of the septum that is curved or causing the breathing problems at the same time of your rhinoplasty.
Pain After Rhinoplasty
Recovery after a nose job depends on what kind of procedures were performed. Contrary to popular belief, nose reshaping procedures are not particularly painful and most patients will need narcotic pain medication for more than a day or two. If a nasal hump or osteotomy ( to narrow the nasal bones ) is performed, an external splint is on for 7-10 days. If a septoplasty is performed, internal septal splints are placed for 7-10 days. If a septoplasty is not performed, the nosed is packed with a non-stick dressing for 2-3 days. Some minor bleeding is expected for 1-3 days.
Return to Work After Nose Job Surgery
Most patients will :
- Most patients will be “mentally capable” of work in 3-5 days
- External splint ( if needed ) is removed in 7-10 days
- Internal splint ( if needed ) is removed in 7-10 days
- Nasal packing is removed in 2-3 days
- External sutures are removed in 7-10 days
- Internal sutures are absorbable by may need to be addressed in 7-10 days
- Clean suture line with peroxide IF there is crusting and then apply ointment 2-3x per day
Starts at $6700
Rhinoplasty: Surgical vs Nonsurgical
The reasons why people want a nose job, also known as rhinoplasty, are many. Some may simply want to improve their ability to breathe with their mouths closed. A deviated septum, resulting from facial trauma while playing high-school sports, may make it harder to breathe through the nose.
Rhinoplasty Benefits: It’s Not Just About Being Beautiful
It can be easy to assume that all rhinoplasties (or nose jobs) take place for purely aesthetic purposes, but it is also a nose reconstruction process used to repair nasal damage or scarring resulting from burns, injuries, or genetic defects.
Check Out This Month's Specials
Find all of this month’s special offers and discounts all in one place!
Shop our entire store of procedures and products here as well.
Experts in Plastic Surgery
Facelift with No Anesthesia Live Surgery by Dr. Chang
Experts in Plastic Surgery
See Surgical Illustrations
Rhinoplasty may be used to reshape the bridge of the nose as well as the tip of the nose and can even be used to reform the flare of the nostrils if desired.
Experts in Plastic Surgery
Other Popular Procedures
Cosmetic breast surgery includes breast augmentation, breast lift, breast reduction and breast reconstruction. Other common procedures include nipple and areola reduction.
Body contouring procedures include abdominoplasty, lower body lift, circumferential body lift, as well as thigh and arm lifts. Some patients need it all especially after weight loss surgery.
Face surgery includes facial rejuvenation procedures such as face, neck, and forehead lifts or simple nonsurgical procedures such as botox, cosmetic facial fillers, or laser skin treatments. Other procedures include nose jobs or ear reshaping.
Skin and Anti-aging
Vaginal health includes treatments for vaginal dryness, laxity, and even urinary incontinence. Common procedures include labiaplasty surgery, as well as Diva Laser Tightening.
Nose Job in Northern Virginia
Dr. Phillip Chang is a leading plastic surgeon in Loudoun County who specializes in surgical and nonsurgical cosmetic procedures for the breast, body, face, and skin. He is board certified in plastic surgery by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and is the founder of Aesthetica Cosmetic Surgery & Laser Center in Leesburg, VA. Dr. Chang is dedicated to providing high-quality service that concentrates on the unique needs and concerns of his patients. He believes combining attentive care and minimally invasive techniques is the best avenue for achieving beautiful, natural-looking results. Dr. Chang is thrilled to be serving the greater northwest area of Washington, D.C. with top cosmetic care that is dependable and trustworthy.
Interested in learning more about Dr. Chang? Click here.
We are based in Leesburg, VA. Located as part of the Lansdowne medical complex, you have access to our 24-7 state-of-the-art facility as well as access to Lansdowne hospital. We are based directly across the road from INOVA hospital. There is ample parking, elevators to bring you to our third floor offices, and welcoming staff to sign you in.
We are proud of our surgeries and cosmetic procedures and love that our patients are happy too. They like to shout it out on Google, Yell, Facebook, and right here on our website. Check out our reviews here.
Yes we do!
All potential patients receive either a phone, virtual, or in-consultation for free.
During the consultation we will discuss your treatment wishes and expectations. This is the time to ask us lots of questions to really understand what is involved, what the costs will be, and what is expected of you. This is also a great time to get to know Dr. Chang.
Aesthetica has received numerous awards from the Loudoun County Chamber of Commerce, New Beauty, Best of Loudoun, Posh 7 Top Picks, and Dr. Chang is internationally known for his lectures and advances in precise surgical technique as demonstrated through his unique mini-facelift procedure.
Follow us online
Follow us on our other platform for more articles, plastic surgery images, and innovations on our social channels