Cosmetic Surgery Tips and Tricks
Thigh Lift Surgery
Leesburg | Loudoun | Ashburn | Virginia
Cosmetic Thigh Lift Surgery removes and sculpts excessive inner thigh fat and skin. Excessive thigh fat and skin results from gaining and losing weight and can be particularly dramatic in patients who have lost a tremendous amount of weight.
The cosmetic surgical options will depend on the amount of sagging skin relative to the amount of fat.
For patients with excessive fat by not much extra skin:
Patients may only need liposuction. That is, unless there is an inordinate amount of fat that would result in excess skin after the removal of the fat.
For patients with minimal to moderate extra skin:
Patients will benefit from a limited incision thigh lift which is also known as either a horizontal incision or crescent incision thigh lift.
For patients with significant extra skin and sagging:
Patients will need treatment with an extend thigh lift which is also called a vertical incision thigh lift. This procedure uses a horizontal incision to lift the tissue but uses also a vertical incision on the inner aspect of the thigh extending down to the knees.
The cosmetic surgical options will depend on the amount of fat that needs to be removed as well as the amount of skin sag that has developed. Thigh lift options include:
- liposuction with or without
- a limited skin excision ( crescent incision ) procedure
- an extended incision ( vertical incision ) procedure
- application of a protective surgical tape on your incision for the first 1-2 weeks after your procedure. The surgical tape protects the incision from the outside environment while also maintaining a lubricating environment for your scar.
- Apply a lubricating scar ointment ( we use biocorneum) for the next 1-3 months. Ideally the ointment contains vitamin E, silicates, sunblock, and a gentle steroid. Our preference is biocorneum because it contains all of these elements in an easy to use pump applicator.
- Apply a silicone sheet for the 1-3 after surgery. Many patients will just use the sheet at night and use the ointment during the day.
- Steroid injection into the scar if it remains raised after 6 months
- Profractional laser remodeling if it remains raised or conspicuous after 6 months.
A limited incision thigh lift is a technique designed for patients with minimal to moderate skin sag that is located along the inner thighs.
A limited incision thigh lift is performed using a hidden crescent shaped incision in the groin crease. The appropriate amount of tissue excess is removed. This is followed by elevating the remaining tissue to the groin crease. Liposuction is added if necessary.
Most patients can return to work in 2 weeks
An extended or vertical thigh lift is a technique designed for patients with moderate to severe skin sag that usually extends from the groin toward the knees.
The extend thigh lift surgery uses a horizontal incision in the groin as well as a second vertical incision that extends from the groin to the knees along the inner thigh. The horizontal incision is used to lift the thigh tissue upwards while the vertical incision is used to remove extra skin as well as to tighten the circumference of the thigh from side to side. It is hidden along the inner thigh. Liposuction is added if necessary.
Most patients can return to work in 10-14 days. Final results, however, are not apparent for 6 to 12 months.
Limited Incision Thigh Lift
- Scar is located in the groin crease and difficult to see
Extended or Vertical Incision Arm Lift
- The extend thigh lift surgery uses a horizontal incision in the groin as well as a second vertical incision that extends from the groin to the knees along the inner thigh. It is hidden along the inner thigh
The thin skin of the inner thigh does not have a very good ability to contract or shrink. For this reason, once the skin is stretched after gaining weight, the skin remains loose even after weight loss.
For young patients that are beginning to gain weight in their thighs, a potential strategy that can prevent the need for a surgical lift in the future is to prevent the fat from accumulating in the first place with Coolsculpting nonsurgical fat removal or a very small office based liposuction procedure.
Approximately 12 to 18 months
- Breast reduction and or breast lift
- Total body lift ( circumferential body lift )
- Thigh lift
- Arm lift
- Face and/or neck lift
First of all, the name is terrible as a total body lift does not lift the entire body. The Total body lift describes a circumferential tummy tuck and can be imagined as the circumferential extension of the abdominoplasty incision around the body to the back. The front part of the incision is used to contour the abdomen. The back part of the incision will not only remove excess skin and fat around the trunk and flanks, but will also elevate the buttock and lateral thighs.
- Abdominal contouring
- Remove excess fat of the flanks and lower back
- Lift and contour the buttocks
- Lift and contour the outer thighs