Mind-Blowing Benefits of Using CBD Oil
I’m sure you’ve heard about the legalization of marujuana in some states across the country over the past few years. By beginning the process of legalizing marajuana for medicinal and recreational purposes, many people have been looking into other ways the Cannabis plant can be used in other areas of our lives. With 80 different compounds that have been extracted from the plant, there is bound to be many applications beyond its use as a recreational drug.
What Is CBD?
CBD has been taking the natural medicinal world by storm these past few years. CBD shops are popping up everywhere, selling anything from lotions and oils to gummies and chocolate. When they learn CBD is an extract from the Cannabis plant, many people think it is the same as the drug marijuana. But this is simply not true.
CBD stands for ‘cannabidiol’ which is an extract from the Cannabis plant. The part of the Cannabis plant that you may be most familiar with is THC (Tetrahydrolcannabidiol). THC is the extract that gives the user the feeling of being “high.” CBD is not an expressly psychoactive drug – meaning that it doesn’t give the user the euphoric feelings of its THC counterpart. However, many claim that it does play a role in calming anxiety or aiding in relaxation. It just doesn’t hinder your decision making ability.
Why Are We Talking About CBD?
Not only has there been a recent increase in edibles using CBD for its calming effects, there has also been an increase in skin care products using CBD. Studies are preliminary, but there is cause to believe that CBD has the ability to greatly affect your skin. There are multiple properties of your skin that can be affected by CBD:
- It Interacts with the Body: By orally ingesting CBD, your body’s ability to produce anandamide is increased. Anandamide is a chemical that helps the body fight inflammation – one of the main symptoms of acne and pimple breakouts.
- Anti-Oil: One of the biggest struggles of using most skin care products is excess oil management. The excess oil, in combination with make-up usage, can lead to clogged pores and breakouts. CBD has the ability to minimize sebum production and normalize overactive sebaceous glands, leading to less oil and clogged pores.
- Nourishing and Moisturizing: CBD contains vitamins A, D, and E as well as essential fatty-acids. By using skin care products containing CBD, your skin will begin looking younger, plumper and more radiant.
- Anti-Aging: The body’s ability to produce endocannabinoids (cannabinoid type chemicals) naturally allows it to work very well when adding in a cannabinoid (such as CBD). The endocannabinoid system is excellent at regulating excesses by helping to supply chemicals that are lacking. A perfect example of this is when CBD is added to the system, the body can use the extra cannabinoid to make up for a lack of antioxidants. This boost of antioxidants can minimize the appearance of wrinkles and give your skin a youthful glow.
- Itch Relief: CBD is an excellent option to combat itching and irritation from less serious conditions (such as sunburn, bug bites, sores, bumps, etc.) due to its anti-inflammatory and analgesic (pain relieving) properties.
Is CBD Oil Safe?
By using CBD topically its effects are more localized. You are not likely to experience any of the slight (if any) psychoactive effects, but you will get the benefits of localized endocannabinoid stimulation for your skin. Because the psychosomatic effect is so minimal, CBD is not even truly considered a psychosomatic drug and is legal in most states and territories. To date, there have been no large scale human studies, but there have been many promising laboratory studies.
Add CBD To Your Skincare Routine!
The recommendation is to use CBD oil on intact, non-inflamed skin. There are many CBD skin care products already out in the market right now and the reviews have been positive. Always make sure you do your research and test any new products on a small area of skin and wait 24 hours before adding it to your routine. Overall, the results of CBD in skin care products have been promising! We can’t wait to see what the next steps are.
FAQs About CBD Oil
CBD does not produce the classic “high” associated with the THC compound in marijuana. But CBD does have an affect on our bodies. It has calming properties which makes it popular for anxiety, and it is used to treat seizures in the only drug containing CBD to receive FDA approval. Read this article to learn more about CBD’s neurological affects.
CBD works on all skin types including oily, dry, and combination.
Experts have deemed CBD safe to use. Of course, you should be careful when using a new product for the first time as you may have an allergic reaction to the products contained in it. Use a small amount on a small area first.
CBD Oil is not addictive, and there are no reports of people becoming dependent on it.
At low doses of CBD (which is what would be in most skincare products), less than 150mg total per day, it is unlikely that significant drug-herb interactions will occur. If you are taking any medications, please check with your health care provider before using CBD oil products.
As of now, the only FDA approved use of CBD for health-related products is in an epilepsy-treating drug called Epidiolex. It’s currently illegal to sell CBD in food, dietary, or health products without FDA approval. That being said, companies can sell CBD products as long as they don’t make any claims about its health benefits. And purchasing CBD is legal as long as it contains less than 0.3 percent of THC. But we recommend checking with your state to make sure the product you want to purchase is legal in your state.
For those wondering whether CBD Skincare products might be the right for you, we invite you to simply come in for a complimentary consultation with Dr. Chang or one of the cosmetic laser and injection nurses to explore whether you would make a good candidate. To find out more whether Aesthetica can help you, contact us online or at 703-729-5553 to arrange an appointment. Dr. Phillip Chang is a board-certified plastic surgeon in Northern Virginia near Leesburg, Virginia and an expert in a wide variety of cosmetic treatments.
Let Us Help You!
Our office can provide you will helpful information, schedule a free consultation, and walk you through the many procedures and services we offer.