What You Need To Know About Breast Reduction Surgery
Dr. Phillip Chang M.D.
Dr. Phillip Chang M.D.
Everything You Need to Know About Lip Augmentation
From one of Northern Virginia's Premier Plastic Surgeons For the Cosmetic Appearance of Your Lips
The introduction of Juvederm and other cosmetic fillers has made possible a tidal wave of women asking asking to plump up their lips. Young women will often ask to exaggerate the size of the average normal lip. Older women will more often want less than will be required to restore the average normal lip. In this article, I will present my strategy for how to approach creating beautiful lips that are customized for your desires. I will describe the normal anatomy of the lip, the changes that come with age, the types of fillers that are available, and my technique for creating full sensual lips
Dr. Chang : Juvederm Lip Filler Leesburg, Virginia
The start of a new trend in lip augmentation
In 2014, Oxford Dictionary added DUCK FACE to its On-line dictionary. According to the Oxford Dictionary, Duck Face is a noun describing “an exaggerated pouting expression in which the lips are thrust outward, typically made by a person posing for a photograph”. They go on an give an example of how the phrase was used. “The pop star pursed her lips into a duck face in one shot” or “Don’t make that stupid duck face in your photos”
You can easily substitute the name Kylie Jenner into the first sentence and you might understand how or why the discussion of of bigger and poutier lips has come into the the popular conversation. The sentence would then read, ” Kylie Jenner pursed her lips into a duck face” and the world responded. Reality television, social media, and a beautiful woman with voluptuous duck lips created a movement. All of a sudden, you couldn’t get away from beautiful women at bars or images on your instagram feed taking duck face selfies. Lips are soft, movable, and serve as the opening for food intake and in the articulation of sound and speech. Human lips are a tactile sensory organ, and can be an erogenous zone when used in kissing and other acts of intimacy.
Lip Size and Sexual Attraction
There is a lot of scientific evidence to suggest that within reason, bigger is better. Intuitively, we all know that this makes sense. The lips are after all, made for kissing. Full lips represent youth and fertility. They are filled with high concentrations of nerve endings that directly stimulate the erogenous zone in the brain. Because of their high number of nerve endings, the lips are an erogenous zone. The lips therefore play a crucial role in kissing and other acts of intimacy.
Scientific findings suggesting the erogenous importance of the lips include: ( wikipedia )
- Lips will engorge with sexual arousal
- Studies show that men are more attracted to women with fuller lips
- Studies show that women with higher levels of estrogen have larger eyes and fuller her lips; and are perceived as more attractive
- Studies show that lipstick increases sexual arousal presumably because it makes the lip look more full
- In many cultures of the world, a woman’s mouth and lips are veiled because of their representative association with the vulva, and because of their role as a woman’s secondary sexual organ.
- Vaginal orgasm appears to be more prominent in women with a prominent tubercle in the upper lip
Strategy for Creating Beautiful Lips
My Strategy For Creating Beautiful Lips
Understanding normal lip anatomy is the the key to creating beautiful sensual lips. Normal natural lips have distinct characteristics and landmarks that when violated or altered have the potential to create some pretty unnatural looks. In reconstructive surgery, we plastic surgeons will use these same landmarks. Patients will frequently come in to their lip consultation with concerns about how they have seen really ugly or weird lips on television and social media. My response is that creating beautiful lips is both a skill and an art. Not all injectors are plastic surgeons with a deep understanding of normal anatomic landmarks of the lip; and not all injectors have a deep understanding of facial aesthetics as an art-form. The following sections will outline my strategy in creating beautiful and sensual lips.
- Understand normal lip anatomy
- Understand the changes that develop with age
- Understand the social trends particularly in young people
- Discuss the consequences of unnatural requests
- Understand my one stick lip augmentation technique
normal lip anatomic landmarks
Normal Lip Anatomy
You can’t really understand how to cosmetically alter the the lip without understanding its normal anatomy. This is a thought I often have when I see a woman with a botched job from another office. This lack of understanding along with poor technique gives all plastic surgeons a bad name. Rant is over. Normal anatomy serves as guidelines. In your consultation, we can decide to vary from these guidelines to suit your desires.
Normal attractive lips have the following properties:
- The upper lip has a slight pout that curls the lip upwards.
- Cupids’s bow is a distinctive curved margins of the upper lip
- The peaks of the cupid’s bow intersect with the descending philtral columns
- There should be a fullness to the center of the upper lip extending to the base of the nose
- The fullness to the upper lip is more above the lip than it is in the center
- The fullness to the upper lip tapers as it extends to the corners of the lip
- The lower lip is 50% fuller than the upper lip
- The lower lip has 3 small tubercles of extra fullness
Normal changes in the Lip with Age
One of the primary changes that come with age is a generalized loss of volume. The volume is lost not only in the pink substance of the lip but is lost above the upper lip in the philtrum between the cupid’s bow lip line and the base of the nose. Cosmetic lip fillers can supplement the volume that is lost with age. The loss of volume results in the following changes:
- lips look less full and less sensual
- loss of volume results in the development of vertical “smoker’s” lines as the skin folds on itself
- the upper lip unfurls and curls inward toward the teeth ( the opposite of the pout )
Celebrity Lip Pout
adopted from Kylie Jenner's Instagram feed
In my experience, there is a tremendous difference between what a more mature woman thinks about lip augmentation and what a younger woman thinks about lip augmentation. Older woman are mostly terrified about the thoughy of lip augmentation; Younger women are eager and will jump at the opportunity for lip augmentation. This is a trend that was encouraged by Kylie Jenner, social media, and reality TV.
How to get rid of lip lines
The primary cause of lip lines is not smoking or excessive kissing. It is because of volume loss with aging. As the lip loses volume, the skin acts as an accordian and results in creases. The creases will eventually become permanent as you lose more volume . Deep permanent creases are extremely difficult to get rid of. Cosmetic fillers will plump up the lip as will as spread out of the lip wrinkles. Options include:
- Cosmetic fillers such as Juvederm or fat transfer
- Laser skin resurfacing if fillers are not sufficient
- I hate Botox for this purpose as it Botox will flatten the lip
How to avoid big ugly lips
Getting a natural result is always the first priority in creating lips. The lips are central to your face and signal beauty and sexuality. Abnormal lips do not help the cause. Here are the important elements to creating beautiful lips.
- Understand and appreciate normal anatomic landmarks
- Recreate normal anatomic landmarks if they are missing with age
- Add volume not only to the pink lip pulp but to the philtrum above the lip line up to the nose
- Understand normal social trends- today, the pout is king. Larger might be more attractive, but only to a point.
Technique - one stick technique
I developed the one stick technique in 2001 after watching a live demonstration on lip injections. The instructor used a very short needle and stuck the woman’s lip no less than 20 times. I can guarantee that if I stuck your lip 20 times with a needle without filler, your lips would be huge and bruised. My technique.
- Numb up the lip with a nerve block or with numbing cream we formulate ourselves for effectiveness. You don’t want the patient to move or be uncomfortable during this delicate process
- The very thin but longer injection needle is placed at the corner of the upper lip and threaded across the lip to include the philtrum, cupid’s bow, and pink pulp. If the patient needs the majority of filling in the central 1/3 of the lip this is often the only needle stick.
- Fanning procedure is not usually performed in the lower lip. However, because the lower lip is more uniformly full all the way across, a needle insertion might be required on the opposite side.
Lip Augmentation Example
Before Lip Augmentation
After Lip Augmentation
Before Lip Augmentation
Before Lip Augmentation (oblique close up)
Upper Lip Injection
Exam of Symmetry After Upper Lip Completed
Lower Lip Augmentation
After Lower Lip Injection
Evaluation of results compared to the instagram lip model
2 days after lip augmentation
2 days after lip augmentation
before and after lip augmentation
1 week after lip augmentation
What can you expect during your lip augmentation ( filler ) procedure
- Step 1: Consultation and immediate treatment if the patient wants
- Step 2: Pictures are taken
- Step 3: Numbing cream is applied
- Step 4: Injection is performed
- Step 5: Ice and gentle massage for 1-3 days
- Step 6: Return to normal daily activities the next day
- Step 6: Swelling can last 2-3 weeks and sometimes longer
Why Dr. Chang and Aesthetica
Dr. Chang is a nationally recognized as one of the Best Plastic Surgeons
- Voted Top Doctor and Best Plastic Surgeon in Northern Virginia
- Lectures on Facial Aging and Mini Facelift Techniques
- Published and contributor to New Beauty Magazine
- Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgeons
More Pages on Facial Rejuvenation Topics
Forehead and Temple Lift
Forehead and Temple Lift procedures are designed to elevate the brows. Falling brows contribute to the heavy feeling in the upper eyelids which may also close off the eyelids
Nose reshaping is often called a nose job. The medical term for nose job is a rhinoplasty. The the nose can be reshaped surgically or may often be performed with facial fillers. Common concerns include the nasal hump and a large nasal tip
Facial fillers are injection products that can add volume to areas that are lost with aging. Common options include Juvederm, Voluma, Sculptra, Radiesse, or your own fat for transfer.
Neck lift surgery elevates the neck. Common concerns include the extra skin below the chin, the platysma muscle bands that split in the front of the neck, and neck fat. The procedure is commonly, but does not have to be, performed with a facelift surgery
Are you ready for those sexy lips?
The desire to look younger and more attractive is a good thing and it is far more feasible and accessible now than ever before in history. Connect with us and Dr. Chang, the premier plastic surgeon in Northern Virginia today!
Hear From Actual Customers
The Reviews Are In
Businesses We Are Proud to Endorse
Radiance Salon and Medi-Spa
Radiance is a upscale salon and medical spa with highly trained hair stylists, master estheticians, nail technicians and cosmetic nurses that can offer a complete beauty package for our patients.
Virginia Infusion Therapies
We are happy to endorse the Virginia Infusion Therapies, who provides essential treatments for patients who suffer from debilitating depression. The majority of patients who suffer from depression fail conventional options including antidepressants and talk therapy. Ketamine infusion has been shown to be effective in close to 70% of patients who otherwise fail conventional options for their depression.
Medi Weightloss Center
Medi provides physician-supervised weight loss and nutritional counseling. Their services are ideal for patients hoping to lose weight before surgery or maintain their cosmetic results after surgery.