How to Choose a Plastic Surgeon- We Are Not All Created Equal (Part 1)
These guidelines can help you find the right plastic surgeon for your needs. Choose a surgeon whose aesthetic sense appeals to you.
How To Find a Plastic Surgeon:
- Make sure he is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon ( not just a Board Certified… doctor; or not just a Cosmetic Surgeon )
- Make sure that he has surgical privileges at area hospitals ( hospitals do your homework in terms of credentialling for you )
- Never have breast or body surgery by an Oral Surgeon, Dermatologist, Gynecologist, or ENT Otolaryngologist.
- Review before and after pictures particularly since we tend to post are average to better results.
How Does the American Board of Medical Specialties ( ABMS ) help you?
Dr. Phillip Chang is a board certified plastic surgeon.
The American Board of Medical Specialties is a professional not for profit organization which is recognized as the gold standard in ensuring the qualifications and certification of physicians. It oversees 24 approved medical specialty boards in the development and use of standards in the ongoing evaluation and certification of physicians. It believes that higer standards for physicians means better care for patients. Importantly, hospitals approve physicians to work at their facilities based on whether the physician is certified by one of the specialties represented by the ABMS. This means that in order for a physican to work at a given hospital, that physician is required to have completed a residency in a given field represented by the ABMS and that physician must have passed an “Board” exam which proves the physicians aptitude in that field. How is this relavent to cosmetic surgery patients? It is relavent because patients should know that hospitals is done some of the homework for them. If the prospective doctor does not have privileges at an area hospital for the procedure he wants to do for you, this generally means that a hospital would let him do it because they were not qualified to do so. This includes Dermatologists doing liposuctions and facelifts, Oral Surgeon Dentists and Otolaryngologists doing breast augmentations and tummy tucks. Believe me when I say that this happens. There are some doing this in Leesburg and Lansdowne.
*** Note that the Amercian Board of Cosmetic Surgery is NOT recognized the TheABMS. And hospitals will in general not grant privileges based on this pseudo-credential. It is a Board used by the unqualified for purposes of advertising.
Most frequent questions and answers
Acne is the most common skin condition in the U.S. affecting nearly 50 million Americans at any time. Acne is caused when hair follicles become clogged with oil and dead skin cells. It can often be persistent and unsightly.
The Acne Clear BBL is a cutting-edge acne treatment that uses the power of light to comfortably and effectively clear acne without expensive creams or toxic medicines…
Brown sun and age spots are some of the first signs of aging and sun damage.
Treatment options include
- Creams such as hydroquinone and retin A. Hydroquinone is a bleaching agent while Retin A increases cellular turnover. Over-the-counter creams will generally not have high enough concentrations to be effective.
- Forever Young BBL – Cutting edge technology providing the most powerful and effective IPL option.
The Forever Young BBL uses Broad Band Light to alter skin melanin and rejuvenate cellular DNA. Instead of spending time and money on ineffective skin care products many of our patients have turned to the Forever Young BBL to make their skin more vibrant and youthful; reducing brown and red pigmentation problems, promoting collagen, and rejuvenating cellular DNA. It is the most popular laser treatment in our clinic.
What to expect from the Forever Young BBL:
- Treatments take 20-30 minutes
- Up to 80% improvement after a single treatment.
- Most patients will benefit from adding a Micro Laser Peel and a Profractional Laser Peel ( Triple Laser Package )
Fine facial lines and wrinkles are a result of UV sun damage, the breakdown of collagen, and a decrease in skin hydration. The Micro Laser Peel and the Profractional Laser are ablative lasers designed to reverse these changes.
- The Micro Laser Peel precisely ablates the surface skin in order to remove UV damaged skin
- The Profractional Laser ablates deep columns of skin that can reach to the deep dermis. This allows for skin contraction but it also encourages new cell grown and organizes new collagen
Results depend on the depth of treatment. Recovery from a maintenance treatment can be as little as a day; but recovery from aggressive treatments can be as much as 7 days. Many patients will benefit from the addition of the Forever Young BBL ( Triple Laser Package ).
More Articles For You
2020 was certainly an unprecedented year. It brought Zoom calls, mask-wearing, virtual dates, social distancing,
The year 2020 has left a visible mark on our society. From the workplace to